Tuesday, February 11, 2014

The search for employment aka as "Hunger Games"

      As of recently I have been applying for most government jobs because they pay well and they are expected to train you pretty thoroughly before you start a position, and also for most government positions if you have a bachelors degree it matters to some extent. I recently had my application accepted for a government position and was thrilled to know that I would get to take the written test to find out if I would make it to the interview process. Also to prepare myself I looked up online what would be on the civil service test for the job so I would at least be mildly prepared at the time of the test.
     When, I showed up to where the test was going to be taken their was a line of people, and while I was sitting to wait for our test booklets I guessed that their were at least 100 people taking a test for two departments that were each hiring one person for each of their departments.  This is not a good ratio 100 people taking a test for two positions, I do not like these odds.  Also, I happened to over hear one person who I think for worked for the county saying that they will pick the top seven scores to interview for these two positions. This test is basically used as a smart weeding out tool to determine who to interview and who would be best for these jobs.
        This whole situation made me think of the "Hunger Games" series where Katniss constantly has to use various strategies and get a one up on her opponents during these games. Also, I know that I am not the only unemployed person where I live since our unemployment is about 11 to 12% when I last checked it, and I am sure that is not including those who have given up looking for work, or who have been unemployed for the past couple years.  So, I think in my situation is was more like "Hunger Games" magnified combined with feeling like its Darwin's Survival of the Fittest and the odds are ever not in my favor.
      This has me wondering though if this is how I feel after being unemployed for the past month, imagine how other people feel. Also it had me thinking what are the new tools that job seekers need out there to survive in this dog eat dog world where its about if you already have the skills to do the job, and to some extent about who you know?

“Don’t be afraid to fail. Don’t waste energy trying to cover up failure. Learn from your failures and go on to the next challenge. It’s OK to fail. If you’re not failing, you’re not growing.” –H. Stanley Judd 
(http://www.forbes.com/sites/jacquelynsmith/2013/01/30/30-motivational-quotes-for-job-seekers/)

No comments:

Post a Comment